Monday, March 24, 2014

Silent Song

"I can't sing that song without crying,"he says.
"Really?  Which part," she asks as she tries to remember.
"The part that says,  
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I fly to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee,
"
he answers.
She draws a breath and asks, "Why?"
"Lung cancer, fleeting breath, flying, too many memories of our friend yet still too fresh."

 There is something about true friendship, the kind that kindles the faith, asks the hard questions, and still trusts a God who cares in the midst of sorrow. We live, and love people who like ourselves are mortal.  And yet, the left behind here on the earth cannot but miss those who go, who fly before us.  Oh hide us, Rock, hide us.  In You we find our eternal hope.  

So he stands quiet while silent tears fill his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...