Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Choose What is Best for the Season You're In

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” -Thomas Edison
“Something deep in the human heart breaks at the thought of a life of mediocrity.”-C.S. Lewis
 
I have entered an interesting season of my Christian walk and the only way I know how to describe it is rest.  I don't wonder if I am enough, if I am doing enough, if I have enough faith.  I just know He holds me, loves me, and He is enough.  We, I think, as people are so busy trying to do so much of the time that the blessings of being get passed up because we rush from one thing to the next.  Something someone said this week resonated with me--she said that we cannot be good at 1,000 things.  In other words, we can't do 1,000 things well to the glory of God.  We have to pick and choose.  

Immediately, I thought of how electronic media and the world at large wants us to be the best at everything we do.  The comparing games of houses, food, vacations and other such things is time consuming and prideful.  We have to choose where to spend our time, where to shoot the arrow so that we can hit the mark. 

I am as guilty as the next person who likes to over commit.  In fact, the beauty of how God matched me up with my husband who is better at saying no than I am is that he helps protects me and my time.  It isn't that I can't say no, it's just that I don't like saying no so I usually say it in such a round about way that it isn't understood as no.  So we practiced.  See, I'm just not good with the phone, and I don't think well on my feet in conversations.  I like to be able to think about things before I say anything which means I can be silent much of the time even though I'm processing.  How did we practice?  Hubby worked up scenarios, and I practiced saying no.

Now this season of rest of who I am in Christ and not trying to be or get approval by doing has been sweet because I am free in His liberty to be who He made me.   For now this season has been full of dirty diapers, bath times, mud puddles, swings, and outside play.  This I do, along with organizing my house and cleaning to the glory of God.  I've had to let some things go (Facebook and this blog a bit) in pursuit of the others.  But oh, the rest, the rest.  Thank you, sweet Jesus.

Do you have trouble saying no?  What helps you get the courage to do so?
Is there anything you need to give up so that you are able to 'be' in the season you are in?

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I have been feeling the same way, lately. And social media is the thing I have had to let go. Even being on the blog less. I love to write, even if no one reads, and so I will continue. But I realize that right now's the season for me to just be a mom and wife. To take care of my home and invest in my family. And social media does have a way of making me feel like I don't do enough and I'm not enough. It just isn't healthy for me to be on too much. And yes, it is so good, so freeing to just be who I am in Christ. Anyway, it was good to hear from you today! Enjoy this season you're in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...