Thursday, March 7, 2013

Why I Silenced Facebook

Everyday about a gazillion different things scream for my attention.  
  • There's the laundry pile that needs no watering to grow.
  • The dishes that threaten to spill out of the sink if I'm not faithful in attending to them.
  • Country dirt seems to coat our floor like a wax job, and the Swiffer and I swing a little dance most every day to keep the dirt out and the clean in.
Brain cells I'd rather spend writing, or contemplating that get swallowed up in the everyday.

And then there are those things I want to do with my child:
  • To rock him and read him stories as I snuggle and breath in his fresh smelling head.
  • To take him on walks, and talk about the trees, the the grass, the chickens, the fields, the sky, the sun...to introduce him to the world we live in.
  • To play with him on the floor, and watch his delight with the noises he makes.

There is also the have-to.
  • Dirty diapers.
  • Feedings.
  • Naps.

Each day seems to function with its own rhythm, and I want to be there and experience it.
  •  For one, I don't want my son to remember me with the phone in my hand and the computer in my lap.  I'm not against Facebook, just against the culture it is creating. 
  • Furthermore, I don't like the idea that by just posting 'pieces' of ourselves online we've suddenly created a relationship with people.   In real life, how many of those 'Friends' do I actually hear from?  The ones I hear from know me better than a picture, a status update, or my likes and dislikes.  
  •  I unplugged so that I have the ability to invest in the real people around me in the community.  Someday I might get back on, but for today, I'm glad to have things quiet.  Since I quit, I'm not receiving advertisements I don't want, and I'm not in the 'know' on what everyone else is cooking, playing, reading, doing.  But for today, I'm okay with that.  I want to be all here for the people in my life. 

Have you ever considered taking a break from Facebook or quitting all together?  What keeps you from quitting Facebook?




2 comments:

  1. I did the same thing a few months ago. Honestly, it has been hard. With Seth being in the military, I have friends all over the world. And, of course, we don't usually live near family so it was easier to share things with everyone at once.

    I was on FB a lot.

    One day something happened and I realized that people often "forget" that the status updates are created by the hands of real people. That words said directly effect someone...Facebook (and social networking, in general) has created a generation of apathetic people. One in which the "human" is taken out of human kind.

    I don't know if I will stay gone forever but for now...I will enjoy my girls and build the relationships that I have outside of FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Mary. I am with you on the apathetic part. Somewhere along the line I decided I could write someone a personal note or give a call if I needed to. (I hate the phone, so it really is an act of love for me to call...I have trouble keeping conversations rolling. I have friends all over the world, too, and several of them emailed when I got off. I know real people who care keep in touch with each other...they are more than statuses. It's so important to enjoy the people in our life now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...