Monday, March 11, 2013

No Easy Answers

Old logs
I've stopped giving pat answers and Bible verses for everything.  In the past, I wrote quite a bit about the Bible and practical theology.  Yet somewhere in the last ten years (and some unexplainable life circumstances), I found that living the Bible privately was more powerful than writing about living it.  The 'here's-how-to-love-your-neighbor' or the 'here's-how-to-be-a-God-fearing-Christian' articles gave directions, but I quit looking for those point by point steps.  Life doesn't always happen in the proper 'steps' or the complete pattern that the articles tell you it should.  God shows up in the ordinary, in the small, in the quiet. 

 I've been given many books to read (and bought quite a few myself) about how a Christian should live, love, find a husband, be content as a single, do the next thing, and grow.  The books were good but not always helpful.  It is difficult when one person makes what happened for them the life rule of what should happen for all people if they just follow the same steps.  Because honestly, by the time I was 28 and still unmarried, the books telling me God was teaching me to wait, that I needed to be under a man's authority, or teaching me to be this or that in the meantime weren't helpful. I know that at any age a husband is a gift, and not one God gives to us because we've been on our best behavior.  God gives in spite of us.  The rain falls on the just and unjust.

So although I contemplate, I hardly ever write about truth I haven't been turning over in my head for some time.  Throwing a Bible verse at someone doesn't help as much as listening.  Most of the time, people want to know you care.  It's good to know the Bible, and what it says.  I'm just saying I seek to live a quiet life in peace.  That means I'll be your friend, that means I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'll slap a Bible verse on every situation. 

When should you be quiet, and when should you speak up?  How do you seek to be Christian in the quiet?  How do your actions speak louder than your words?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...