Friday, October 26, 2012

By All Means Sing




"If you hear a voice within you saying, "You are not a painter," then by all means paint...and that voice will be silenced." -Vincent Van Gogh

I didn't try.  My main mistake that year was failing to try.  
"You've got a good voice," he told me, "And I would have put you in ensemble."
But I didn't believe it.  I'd been told since junior high that if you couldn't sing vibrato, and you weren't friends with someone who had clout, or didn't have singing lessons,  you couldn't sing, even if you could read notes and carry a tune.  You couldn't sing because one person decided the worth of your voice.

We moved.  The new teacher, he told me I could have sung in the ensemble, but I didn't try because I didn't believe I was good enough.  Entrance into the ensemble was by audition only.  The next year I tried and I made it!  I learned the joy of singing with my alto voice blended in harmony with others, offering together a gift of music. That teacher gave me the gift of hope and courage.   If you find a voice within you saying, "You are not a singer,"then by all means sing....and that voice will be silenced. 


We can spend our lives listening to that voice....you know, the one that says:
You aren't good enough.
You aren't beautiful enough.
You aren't like so and so.
You aren't lovable.
Silence the lies with truth:
His grace has covered you.  You are good by His grace alone.  He has given you unique talents.
He has made you, formed you in your Mother's womb.
You are exactly who He made you to be, and comparing yourself with another isn't wise.
You are loved.  Completely, totally, unconditionally.

 He offers us the bread and cup, and says, "This is for you.  God loves you, Lisa."  I hear my name and I know.  God loves me and He calls me with His shepherd voice and affirms His love for me by giving. The bread cupped in my hand, the cup held in the other.  Love meets me where and when I remember with Thanksgiving what He's done for me.  This bread, this cup.  Take it, and remember God's love for sinners.  His voice silences the lies. 

"The voice of truth tells me a different story.  The voice of truth says 'Do not be afraid.'" -Casting Crowns

Five Minute Friday

4 comments:

  1. "You aren't good enough.
    You aren't beautiful enough.
    You aren't like so and so.
    You aren't lovable."

    Yes! Unfortunately, this fits me a lot. Thanks for this! (new follower from 5mf)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The voice of truth! Yes. That is the voice I choose to hear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...