Monday, October 1, 2012

Because Not Every House is a Home



"A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands." Proverbs 14:1

Hubby in front of our home...flying his kite.
It's easy to think I want something different.  I want a house that looks like a house.  I want more space so we have room to have people.  I want a dishwasher so I don't have to do dishes three times a day.  While it is one thing to want those things, there is a fine line between dreaming and complaining. 

How is it that I've lived in smaller spaces, and I've had no problem?  I  lived in a 21 floor apartment building, and it didn't look like a house.  I had no problem washing my dishes.  And good grief, I didn't even have  a clothes dryer.   When surrounded by the 'better' things in life it is easy to notice and complain about what we don't have compared to someone else.

My eyes stopped on this "...but a foolish woman tears it down..."  I'd never read it in this translation.  But the visual picture it gave me was overwhelming.  "Lisa, every time you complain about the dishes, it is like you are taking down your house board by board."  Hubby built our house before I was around.  Nail by nail he put it up.  He is the epitome of responsibility.  And you know, when I complain it is like slapping the face of the one who provided it for me.  I am saying, "Hubby, this isn't good enough for me.  Thank you, but I'd like something else."  And to amplify that, "God, this isn't good enough for me.  Thank you, but I'd like something else."

So I stopped.  Every time I'm doing the dishes and I start thinking wrong, I picture myself tearing down our house.  Our cabinets.  What Hubby has worked so hard to build.  And I realize we are building together.  We are on the same team.  When I complain, or compare what I have to what someone else has, it won't look the same.  The Giver is the same, but the gift is different. Your house may be small but your sense of home can be filled with an even bigger sense of love.  The love that you share with others within your four walls will have everything to do with the legacy you leave for your family.   

Because not every house is a home.
It was my 'ah-ha' moment.
In what ways do you build and cultivate a sense of  home? 

1 comment:

  1. Great article. So true....a wise woman builds her house. Thanks for sharing.

    Melissa
    redflycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...