Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Work

"Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak. " ~ Thomas Carlyle

Bindweed.
It chokes, infests, and overtakes the ground.
It is extremely difficult to remove, to pluck up, and to destroy.
This Spring we started early with our battle against bindweed.  Joseph has hoed the little plot where we planned to plant nearly every single day since the middle of March.  He'd overturn the new growth, and chop off roots and heads of leaves.  We soon figured out what we'd put in that bed.  I am going to be a little busier this late spring and summer, so we decided against planting a huge garden like we have in the past.  Instead we've chosen to plant a few trees, and a bed of raspberry bushes.  

The raspberry bushes came right on time, and have put off new growth quickly.  We prepared the soil, kept the bindweed at bay, and then mulched the ground so that new bindweed growth would not have the ability to overtake the bed.  Joseph planted and pruned the raspberry bushes.  Raspberry bushes send up shoots, and in their infantile form they look somewhat similar to bindweed except for a few distinguishing characteristics.  It requires that the bindweed plucker look closely at the leaves before picking so as not to pluck up the new growth of the raspberry bush.  

Bindweed disguises itself well, and it requires daily check-ups so that it doesn't choke out the plants in the area.  It requires that the gardener be vigilant and persistent.  This is just a garden, but we'd like some raspberries after all.  If Joseph hadn't started hoeing the bindweed up, we'd have a bed of bindweed right now.  I admire his ability to be steady, to dream big, and to keep on going when things get tough.   I think he can see the day when his weeding will have paid off.  He'll have lush raspberry bushes, and the bindweed will have been conquered.  

But on some days, I just see a bed of weeds to be picked. I don't know where to start, and to be honest, when dealing with weeds, I just have a hard time getting up the motivation to begin picking.  I could say I've picked my share of weeds in a lifetime because I've picked quite a few.  I could also say that the pollen from the weeds makes me feel sick.  It does.  I could say I don't enjoy weeding.  I don't.  But I'm sure Joseph doesn't either.  But somewhere, sometime, I've got to start.  If I want a garden I have to work at weeding.  How can I expect plants to bloom and produce if they don't even have a chance to thrive? 


What do you need to work at today that you're having trouble starting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...